Lunenburg Yacht Club Race Program
Last Reviewed May, 2004
1. The LYC Handicap Ratings will be calculated and adjusted, if required, four times per season and reflects individual yacht performance. The LYC Race Committee ( majority committee vote ) reserves the right to make any changes to the LYC Handicap System as necessary. Any changes will be posted on the official LYC Race Notice Board.
2. All LYC yacht handicaps will be carried over from one year to the next.
3. All LYC yacht handicaps will be re-calculated and adjusted at the end of June, July and August or prior to the beginning of a new monthly series. At the end of the racing season a yearly average will be calculated and carried over to the next year. The yearly average will be the totalled eligible race ESPN’s divided by the total eligible races raced for the whole year for each individual yacht.
4. All races with a minimum number of 3 yachts finishing with the exception any "FUN" races (e.g. Friday Flotilla Fun Races ) qualify for the purpose of handicapping calculations.
5. Individual Yacht handicap adjustments will be made according to the following guidelines:
6. Yachts new to LYC will be given the established ASPN or ASPN-PHRF rating for their class or, at the discretion of the LYC Race Committee, may be given the current LYC handicap of an existing similar Yacht . Yachts with no established ASPN-PHRF rating will be given a provisional handicap to be reviewed after 5 races. Provisional handicaps may, based on the yachts performance, change by 1 or more points at the discretion of the LYC Race Committee.
A yacht’s LYC Handicap Rating will be no lower or higher than –2 to + 2 of the established Provincial ASPN Rating.
7. Yacht handicaps will be adjusted on a “per race” basis for yachts choosing not to fly a spinnaker provided that the Race Committee Start Officer is notified before a course is set. An individual yacht handicap adjustment will be minus 3 points for a masthead spinnaker and minus 2 points for a fractional spinnaker.
8. There will be no ‘per race’ handicap adjustments made for a yacht choosing to sail without certain non-spinnaker sails in her inventory.
9. Sail, propeller and other changes will affect handicaps according to present ASPN-PHRF guidelines.
10. All yacht owners wishing to race (other than Friday Night Fun Races) must have an up-to-date yacht data ASPN-PHRF sheet on file with the LYC Race Committee. It is the yacht owner’s responsibility to inform the LYC Club Handicapper of changes in inventory or equipment which would affect the yachts handicap calculation according to ASPN-PHRF guidelines.